Straight Line Graphs Mystery
This resource created by Shirley Fall has twenty mystery fact cards, each containing a statement about the features of straight line graphs and how they lie on a 3 by 3 grid. The rationale is for students to use the fact cards to discover the features of each graph - its gradient, its intercept, its graph and ultimately its equation - by discussing the possible options and working towards a solution of which straight line graph lies in each grid cell
Mystery fact cards and tasks includes three tasks:
• Task 1A - Use the cards to determine the gradients and intercepts on the y axis and thus the sketches of the graphs in each of the cells.
• Task 1B - Using the equation cards (E1-14) find, where possible, equivalent expressions to create matching pairs/groups.
• Task 1C - If the equation cards E1 - E14 are labels for each of the nine graphs in Task 1A, produce a 3 by 3 grid containing detailed, labelled sketches on which the co-ordinates of key points are identified.
• a blank grid;
• a grid of blank axes;
• a grid that prompts the student for the gradient, y intercept and graph;
• a grid that prompts the student for the equation;
It is recommended that the grids are enlarged to A3 size.
The Equation cards are available as a separate file.
• Suggested vocabulary;
• Concepts, knowledge and skills covered;
• A possible lesson structure;
• Answers to all the tasks and additional questions.
HEALTH and SAFETY
Any use of a resource that includes a practical activity must include a risk assessment. Please note that collections may contain ARCHIVE resources, which were developed at a much earlier date. Since that time there have been significant changes in the rules and guidance affecting laboratory practical work. Further information is provided in our Health and Safety guidance.