Using the Environment 4: Ways and Means
The unit Ways and means, from Science 5/13, deals with the provision of facilities, equipment and raw materials children need for all stages of their outdoor investigations and for resulting activities on their return to school. While the suggestions for plants in the school grounds will remain appropriate he information provided about the authorities responsible for the school and many of the sources of materials and equipment are out of date. Gramophone records (of bird songs) have long been replaced by CD-ROMs.
1. Developing school grounds: provision by the local education authority
2. Developing school ground: provision by the school community
3. Materials for long-term investigations
4. Venturing farther afield
5. Organisation of field work at a distance from the base
6. Indoor techniques
7. Equipment and raw materials for a resources area
8. Sources of equipment, reference books, gramophone records
Objectives for children learning science
HEALTH and SAFETY
Any use of a resource that includes a practical activity must include a risk assessment. Please note that collections may contain ARCHIVE resources, which were developed at a much earlier date. Since that time there have been significant changes in the rules and guidance affecting laboratory practical work. Further information is provided in our Health and Safety guidance.