Demonstrations for the Christmas Dinner Table
In this National Science Learning Network video, Simon Quinnell demonstrates four experiments, with the theme of Christmas, that teachers can do in the school laboratory.
• Tea bag convection - see how a burning teabag mysteriously rises on convection currents in the air around it.
• The candle demonstration - generate carbon dioxide with an antacid tablet and water before showing how the gas extinguishes a naked flame.
• Magic balloon and water - looking at conduction and convection and showing thermal energy transfer in a fluid.
• Instant snow - properties of a super-absorbant polymer.
HEALTH and SAFETY
Any use of a resource that includes a practical activity must include a risk assessment. Please note that collections may contain ARCHIVE resources, which were developed at a much earlier date. Since that time there have been significant changes in the rules and guidance affecting laboratory practical work. Further information is provided in our Health and Safety guidance.
More like this
Resource by: National Science Learning Network
The resource is part of National Science Learning Network
- National Science Learning Network Demonstration Videos
- Demonstrations for the Christmas Dinner Table