Science Resources for Primary and Middle Schools
This is learning Through Science Guide is about the resources needed to carry out science in primary and middle schools. The guide was primarily intended to help a school staff to assemble the resources that are needed for scientific explorations, but also of value to individual teachers. It describes the objects and materials that are required and how they may be stored, and how of a central resource area can be organised. An extensive appendix gives illustrated details of equipment suitable for different activities.
1. A rationale for organising resources.
2. Where do we put the resources?
3. How do we organise the resources?
4. Provision of resources for arousing and maintaining children's curiosity
(a) Work in the school building
(b) Work arising from the school grounds
(c) Work arising from beyond the school premises
5. Provision for collecting specimens and data
6. Provision for housing animals
7. Provision for aiding the development of enquiry skills
8. Provision for the scientific aspects of topic work
9. Provision for aiding communication
10. Sources of reference
11. Resources for independent learning
1. Equipment for arousing and maintaining children's curiosity
2. Equipment for collecting specimens and data
3. Equipment for housing animals
4. Equipment for aiding the development of enquiry skills
5. Equipment for the scientific aspects of topic work
6. Equipment for aiding communication
7. The insectarium at the Vinter's School, Maidstone
8. Some household chemicals and substances that can be of use
9. Heating problems
10. A school setting up a resource centre
11. Bibliography .
HEALTH and SAFETY
Any use of a resource that includes a practical activity must include a risk assessment. Please note that collections may contain ARCHIVE resources, which were developed at a much earlier date. Since that time there have been significant changes in the rules and guidance affecting laboratory practical work. Further information is provided in our Health and Safety guidance.