Shape Activities for Students Aged 7-9
A selection of activities, published by BEAM, for teachers of primary mathematics. They include challenging problems and puzzles, open-ended investigations, cross-curricular activities and resources to practise and consolidate students' understanding of shape and space.
The activities, with their mathematical content, are:
• Arranging bricks - investigating number of ways to arrange cuboids
• Carnival mask - drawing a symmetrical face
• Dice - folding nets
• Halves - colouring half of a shape
• Join 4 - drawing shapes on a nine-dot grid
• Shapes crossword - properties of shapes
• Squares - completing squares on agrid
• Squares and triangles - dissecting a shape into a square and two triangles
• Three-square - developing spatial memory
• Two-part tangram - using tangram pieces to produce other shapes
• Word search - finding the names of shapes.
HEALTH and SAFETY
Any use of a resource that includes a practical activity must include a risk assessment. Please note that collections may contain ARCHIVE resources, which were developed at a much earlier date. Since that time there have been significant changes in the rules and guidance affecting laboratory practical work. Further information is provided in our Health and Safety guidance.