Teaching Ideas and Evidence in Science at Key Stage 3
These resources were developed by the Gatsby Science Enhancement Programme in collaboration with five universities involved in initial teacher education, as part of a Key Stage 3 National Strategy project. Originally produced as a CD-ROM, the materials aimed to provide suggestions and activities for teaching about ‘ideas and evidence’ in science. The activities focus on ways of teaching students to use and evaluate evidence to either support or refute claims. The materials and activities have been developed by each of the universities working with trainee teachers, mentors in schools, and other teachers.
The activities sheets are provided in editable format so that teachers can customise them to meet their own needs. The sections contained within this resource are:
• Activity A: Sedna, Planet or not?
• Activity B: How does an elastic band stretch?
• Activity C: Ideas about particles
• Activity D: History of ideas about space
• Activity E: Genetically Modified foods
• Activity F: Rainbows
• Activity G: Planet X
• Activity H: Changes in Matter
• Activity I: Cells
• Activity J: Chemical Reactions and Measurement
• Activity K: Examining a Scientific Argument
• Activity L: Quality evaluations?
• Activity M: Spreading Diseases
• Activity N: Acids and Ph
• Activity O: The Earth and Beyond
• Activity P: Teaching and Evidence through ‘Electricity’ in Year 7
• Activity Q: Teaching the Solar System at Y7
• Activity R: Teaching Forces at Y8
• Activity S: Teaching Light at Y8
• Activity T: Teaching Electricity at Y9
• Activity U: Exploring the Curriculum Model for teaching about the nature of science
HEALTH and SAFETY
Any use of a resource that includes a practical activity must include a risk assessment. Please note that collections may contain ARCHIVE resources, which were developed at a much earlier date. Since that time there have been significant changes in the rules and guidance affecting laboratory practical work. Further information is provided in our Health and Safety guidance.