LAMP Topic Brief 7: Health and Hygiene
This topic brief was published as part of the ASE’s LAMP Project. The brief was developed for third year pupils following a Nuffield Secondary Science course. It was later trialled in a variety of secondary schools with students of average and below average ability in the 13 to 16 age range.
1. To develop an understanding of the fundamentals of health and the factors which affect it.
2. To encourage the desire and ability of students to search for information in books and to browse through books.
3. To enable a working relationship to develop between students and teacher
4. To encourage students to work together constructively exchanging experiences and deyeloping ideas.
5. To provide an opportunity for discussion of some social health problems: venereal diseases, smoking, alcohol and drugs.
1. Our needs for survival
2. Growing microbes
3. Types of microbe
4. Preserving food
6. The human skin
7. The skin on grapes
8. The science of skin
9. Care of the skin
10. Blood – its work in defence
11. Heart and lungs
12. Immunity and blood groups
14. Venereal diseases
15. Smoking, drinking drugs
17. Balance of life – mental health
HEALTH and SAFETY
Any use of a resource that includes a practical activity must include a risk assessment. Please note that collections may contain ARCHIVE resources, which were developed at a much earlier date. Since that time there have been significant changes in the rules and guidance affecting laboratory practical work. Further information is provided in our Health and Safety guidance.