Primary: Microbe Investigations
Produced by the Health Protection Agency and e-Bug, these practical investigations use readily available resources and will help students to understand the topic of microbes and their growth.
The investigations include:
• Kitchen investigators - where can you find the most microbes in your kitchen?
• Microbe garden - how many different types of microbe can you find on different foods?
• Pepper water - why do we use soap to wash our hands?
• Pickled apple - what do microbes need in order to grow and multiply?
• Rotten apple - how do harmful microbes spread?
• Yeast balloon - why does bread rise?
HEALTH and SAFETY
Any use of a resource that includes a practical activity must include a risk assessment. Please note that collections may contain ARCHIVE resources, which were developed at a much earlier date. Since that time there have been significant changes in the rules and guidance affecting laboratory practical work. Further information is provided in our Health and Safety guidance.