Building a Superstore
This Problem Solving with Industry module was devised by the Centre for Science Education in collaboration with Hadfield, Cawkwell, Davidson and Partners. In this module students, working in teams, are asked to come up with plans for a new DIY superstore.
• Task 1 – drawing up a list of the types of materials that could be used in the construction of the superstore.
• Task 2 - testing materials to determine their suitability for building the superstore.
• Task 3 - using the findings from Task 2, together with further information, to make some decisions about how and where to build the superstore.
• Task 4 - using site plans, architect drawings and the findings, to put together a final proposal and to prepare a presentation to the local Council.
• Task 5 - presenting the proposal to the local Council and rating the proposals from other teams.
HEALTH and SAFETY
Any use of a resource that includes a practical activity must include a risk assessment. Please note that collections may contain ARCHIVE resources, which were developed at a much earlier date. Since that time there have been significant changes in the rules and guidance affecting laboratory practical work. Further information is provided in our Health and Safety guidance.