Maths Activity in the Early Years - Topic Booklets
This Eigen publications material is designed to support the teaching of early mathematics concepts. The booklets are independent of each other each with a specific focus.
• Step on it develops numbers to 20 by physical activity using numbered carpet tiles.
• Puppet maths gives ideas for the use of glove puppets in developing counting and labeling, ordering, sorting, comparison and guessing games.
• Patterns of three uses a variety of situations to develop an informal appreciation of the three times table.
• Number lines extends the work of Step on it using number tracks from 1 to 10 or 1 to 20.
• Number games provides simple number games for two children using ordering and simple number properties.
• Shapes explores the use of basic shapes to make patterns and pictures by joining and folding.
• Mirrors and patterns explores the properties of mirror images.
• Time: tockers is about making and using simple timing devices with a focus on comparison and language.
• Christmas cards provides ideas for making Christmas cards which all have a mathematical base.
HEALTH and SAFETY
Any use of a resource that includes a practical activity must include a risk assessment. Please note that collections may contain ARCHIVE resources, which were developed at a much earlier date. Since that time there have been significant changes in the rules and guidance affecting laboratory practical work. Further information is provided in our Health and Safety guidance.