Introducing Salters' Chemistry: Textbook
The first Salters’ Chemistry Course textbook from the Univerisity of York Science Education Group covered the five units in the first year of the course intended for students aged 13-14 (year nine).
Units covered in the textbook
There was one chapter in the textbook for each unit. Each chapter had the same structure with these components:
• ‘Introducing’ pages to set the scene of the topic and raise some questions about what is in it.
• ‘Looking at’ pages providing extra background with illustrated examples of intriguing applications of the chemistry.
• ‘In brief’ sections giving a straightforward summary of what students need to know to understand the topic.
• ‘Thinking about’ pages explaining the key chemical ideas that arise from the topic.
• ‘Things to do’ offering a varied bank of activities for students to try.
• ‘Questions to answer’ to help students when it comes to exams.
HEALTH and SAFETY
Any use of a resource that includes a practical activity must include a risk assessment. Please note that collections may contain ARCHIVE resources, which were developed at a much earlier date. Since that time there have been significant changes in the rules and guidance affecting laboratory practical work. Further information is provided in our Health and Safety guidance.