Science Focus: Looking into Science 2
This student book accompanies the nine teaching units which make up Science Focus: The Salters’ Approach for Year Eight. Looking into Science 2 is a full colour book which can be used to support, enrich or extend lessons.
Content is arranged as a succession of double-page spreads, each of which is closely linked to a particular activity or lesson in Teacher’s Guide 2. The lesson plans and teaching notes in Teacher’s Guide 2 give references to the relevant pages of the student books, and these references are shown again with the teaching notes for each activity.
Looking into Science 2 provides information, interactive text and guidelines for a variety of practical and text-related activities. The book can be used to stimulate interest in a new topic, perhaps by asking students to read a spread as homework, or as a reference source during lessons. Some spreads may be used as a ‘starting point’ for discussions, debates or role-play exercises.
The nine teaching units covered in Looking into Science 2 are:
• Music and Noise: Making, transmitting and hearing sounds.
• Seeing the Light: Light and how we see.
• Full of Beans: Growing plants from seed.
• Body Care: Location, structure and function of human organs.
• Wear and Tear: An introduction to textiles.
• Child’s Play: Transfer and conservation of energy.
• Conditions for Life: Relationships between species and habitats.
• On the Rocks: An introduction to Rocks and Minerals
• Fire, Friend or Foe?: Burning Fuels and Fighting Fires.
The units are arranged in the same order in this book, Working with Science 2 and Teacher’s Guide 2.
HEALTH and SAFETY
Any use of a resource that includes a practical activity must include a risk assessment. Please note that collections may contain ARCHIVE resources, which were developed at a much earlier date. Since that time there have been significant changes in the rules and guidance affecting laboratory practical work. Further information is provided in our Health and Safety guidance.
More like this
Resource by: Heinemann
The resource is part of Heinemann,University of York Science Education Group
- Salters’ Science for Key Stage Three: Science Focus
- Resources to Support Teaching in Year Eight
- Science Focus: Looking into Science 2