Salters' Science Focus: Teachers' Guide 3
The Science Focus course provides a rich variety of different types of learning activities, which are described in sufficient detail to be taken and adapted into any Key Stage Three scheme of work.
This guide covers Year 10 of the course Science Focus: the Salters’ Approach. It provides a suggested scheme of work for each of nine units of study.
Each unit begins with an overview which identifies the content and learning activities provided by the unit. This is followed by a series of lesson plans, with suggestions for managing the activities and worksheets for students.
The content includes:
•lesson by lesson planning summaries
•notes for the teacher which illustrate a variety of types of teaching and learning activities
•notes on the responses which should be expected from students
•background knowledge of the topic covered
•a pre-planner to identify materials which may be less commonly available or things which need advance preparation before the lesson where they will be used.
•notes for technicians
Some student sheets are also included in a format suitable for copying and distribution to students. These provide alternative or extension activities. Where students are likely to cut up worksheets or write on them, the worksheets are included in the teachers’ guide.
Units covered in Year Nine:
• Green Machine: Photosynthesis and food chains.
• Safe as Houses: Forces and structures.
• Drinks: Pure water, fizzy drinks and fermentation.
• Seeing Stars: Earth, the planets and stars.
• Food: An introduction to nutrients and digestion.
• Safe Journey: Ideas about speed, time and distance.
• Growing Up: Growing and maturing from babies to adults.
• Metals: Properties, uses and protection of some metals.
• Current Thinking: More about circuits.
• World Watch: Science and the environment.
HEALTH and SAFETY
Any use of a resource that includes a practical activity must include a risk assessment. Please note that collections may contain ARCHIVE resources, which were developed at a much earlier date. Since that time there have been significant changes in the rules and guidance affecting laboratory practical work. Further information is provided in our Health and Safety guidance.
More like this
Resource by: Heinemann
The resource is part of Heinemann,University of York Science Education Group
- Salters’ Science for Key Stage Three: Science Focus
- Resources to Support Teaching in Year Nine
- Salters' Science Focus: Teachers' Guide 3