Product Design: Polymers in Sleeping Bags
Produced by CIEC Promoting Science, this set of activities allows students to investigate the properties of polymers in relation to the design requirements for a sleeping bag.
Students carry out an investigation of the design and manufacture of sleeping bags as a product analysis exercise. This helps students to develop technological and scientific skills and understanding by exploring the properties of fillings, cover materials and processes used in the design and manufacture of sleeping bags.
The materials contain full teacher guidance, student notes and activity sheets. They look at:
• Analysis of general functional requirements for sleeping bags.
• Materials selection in product design.
• Development of a new product.
• Development of a new sleeping bag design.
• Factors influencing the development of a new product.
• Materials used in sleeping bags.
• Environmental impacts.
• The manufacture of sleeping bags.
HEALTH and SAFETY
Any use of a resource that includes a practical activity must include a risk assessment. Please note that collections may contain ARCHIVE resources, which were developed at a much earlier date. Since that time there have been significant changes in the rules and guidance affecting laboratory practical work. Further information is provided in our Health and Safety guidance.