Produced by CIEC Promoting Science, these materials encourage primary children to use reclaimed materials to make a range of products that include a model person, stacking toy, necklace, model car and powered roundabout.
The skills pupils develop during the activities include:
• measuring, centring and marking out
• boring holes using hand tools
• hand-eye co-ordination
• designing and experimenting
• sawing dowelling and wood
• cutting plastic
• joining using knots, self-tapping screws and glue guns
• finishing using paints, fabrics, wool and inks.
The materials contain full teacher guidance and activity sheets.
HEALTH and SAFETY
Any use of a resource that includes a practical activity must include a risk assessment. Please note that collections may contain ARCHIVE resources, which were developed at a much earlier date. Since that time there have been significant changes in the rules and guidance affecting laboratory practical work. Further information is provided in our Health and Safety guidance.