Let Sleeping Bags Lie
From CIEC Promoting Science, this series of activities investigates heat transfer and the thermal insulation properties of sleeping bags.
In the investigation, students:
• Consider the requirements for different categories of sleeping bags.
• Measure the volume of air trapped in a number of materials used for sleeping bag fillings.
• Test the 'breathability' of cover fabrics.
• Test the thermal insulation properties of fillings.
• Test the effect of washing on the properties of the materials.
• Test the elasticity of the materials used.
• Investigate the factors affecting the stable temperature inside a sleeping bag in use.
Detailed teacher guidance and student activity sheets are provided in the materials.
HEALTH and SAFETY
Any use of a resource that includes a practical activity must include a risk assessment. Please note that collections may contain ARCHIVE resources, which were developed at a much earlier date. Since that time there have been significant changes in the rules and guidance affecting laboratory practical work. Further information is provided in our Health and Safety guidance.
More like this
Resource by: CIEC Promoting Science