Let Sleeping Bags Lie
From CIEC Promoting Science, this series of activities investigates heat transfer and the thermal insulation properties of sleeping bags.
In the investigation, students:
• Consider the requirements for different categories of sleeping bags.
• Measure the volume of air trapped in a number of materials used for sleeping bag fillings.
• Test the 'breathability' of cover fabrics.
• Test the thermal insulation properties of fillings.
• Test the effect of washing on the properties of the materials.
• Test the elasticity of the materials used.
• Investigate the factors affecting the stable temperature inside a sleeping bag in use.
Detailed teacher guidance and student activity sheets are provided in the materials.
HEALTH and SAFETY
Any use of a resource that includes a practical activity must include a risk assessment. Please note that collections may contain ARCHIVE resources, which were developed at a much earlier date. Since that time there have been significant changes in the rules and guidance affecting laboratory practical work. Further information is provided in our Health and Safety guidance.