Science and Technology in Society 1
SATIS book one includes Ashton Island - a problem in renewable energy, Fibre in your diet, and Nuclear power.
The ten units in this booklet are:
• 101 Sulphurcrete: Reading, questions and experimental work on the use of sulphur as a building material.
• 102 Food from fungus: Information, questions and decision-making exercises concerning the production and marketing of a novel food.
• 103 Controlling rust: Information, questions and decision-making exercises concerning rusting and its prevention, in particular its economic aspects.
• 104 What's in our food? A look at food labels: Survey, analysis and discussion concerning food labelling and food additives.
• 105 The bigger the better?: Data analysis and discussion concerning economies of scale, with particular reference to ethene manufacture.
• 106 The design game: Designing an energy efficient home.
• 107 Ashton Island - a problem in renewable energy: Information and problem-solving exercise on the use of renewable energy sources.
• 108 Fibre in your diet: Information, questions and data analysis on the link between dietary fibre and disease.
• 109 Nuclear power: A structured discussion concerning the principles and issues behind the use of nuclear power.
• 110 Hilltop - an agricultural problem: A data analysis problem-solving exercise concerning a trace element disease among farm animals.
HEALTH and SAFETY
Any use of a resource that includes a practical activity must include a risk assessment. Please note that collections may contain ARCHIVE resources, which were developed at a much earlier date. Since that time there have been significant changes in the rules and guidance affecting laboratory practical work. Further information is provided in our Health and Safety guidance.