Special Study: Food Science
This Nuffield Advanced Chemistry Special Study enabled students to see something of the scope of the field of food science, and to appreciate its dependence upon chemical principles. The objectives were:
• to show the function and place of food in the human organism.
• to show food as a dynamic macromolecular system with specific physical structure
• to study some deleterious and some beneficial changes in food, and how they may be controlled.
• to discuss some social and economic situations which are related to food.
• to discuss the significance of food production and preservation for the survival of humanity.
Contents of this book:
Chapter 1: Introducing food science
Chapter 2: The nutrients in food
Chapter 3: The quality of food
Chapter 4: Microbial and biochemical changes in food
Chapter 5: Food preservation
Chapter 6: Cereal science
Chapter 7: Food legislation
Chapter 8: The hungry world
HEALTH and SAFETY
Any use of a resource that includes a practical activity must include a risk assessment. Please note that collections may contain ARCHIVE resources, which were developed at a much earlier date. Since that time there have been significant changes in the rules and guidance affecting laboratory practical work. Further information is provided in our Health and Safety guidance.