Nuffield Advanced Biology: Teachers Guide I
Published by the Nuffield Foundation, each chapter of a Nuffield Advanced Biology laboratory guide provided a coherent treatment of a series of biological topics based on practical investigations. Although the chapters were arranged in a logical order this was not intended to be prescriptive; other arrangements were possible. Only the teachers' guides made a distinction between preliminary and main work. Extension work followed immediately after those chapters to which it was most closely related.
Each investigation was treated in the Teachers' Guide under five headings:
• Associated materials - references to complementary work in the study guide and to visual aids.
• Principles - an outline of the aims of the investigation.
• Teaching procedure - suggested approaches, links with other work in the laboratory guide, and possible difficulties.
• Practical problems - this section was concerned with practical teaching problems..
• Questions and answers - this section repeated the questions in the appropriate part of the laboratory guide and gave outlines of the kind of answers to be expected.
• Using the Laboratory Guides
• Unit 1: Maintenance of the Organism
Chapter 1: Interaction and exchange between organisms and their environment
Chapter 2: Gas exchange systems
Extension work I: Gas exchange systems: the gill system of the dogfish
Chapter 3: Transport inside organisms
Chapter 4: Transport media
Extension work II: Transport inside organisms: Circulation in the dogfish
Chapter 5: Digestion and absorption
Chapter 6: Enzymes and organisms
Chapter 7: Photosynthesis
Extension work III: Metabolic systems
Chapter 8: Metabolism and the environment
• Unit 2: Organisms and Populations
Chapter 1: Variation in a community
Chapter 2: Inheritance and the origin of variation
Chapter 3: The cell nucleus and inheritance
Extension work I: Biochemical genetics
Chapter 4: Population genetics and selection
Chapter 5: Population dynamics
Chapter 6: Organisms and their physical environment
Chapter 7: Organisms and their biotic environment
Extension work II: Experimental field ecology
Chapter 8: The community as an ecosystem
Chapter 9: Evolution and the origin of species
HEALTH and SAFETY
Any use of a resource that includes a practical activity must include a risk assessment. Please note that collections may contain ARCHIVE resources, which were developed at a much earlier date. Since that time there have been significant changes in the rules and guidance affecting laboratory practical work. Further information is provided in our Health and Safety guidance.
More like this
Resource by: Nuffield Foundation
The resource is part of Nuffield Foundation,Penguin Books
- Nuffield Advanced Science: Biology
- Nuffield Advanced Biology: Practical Activities and Investigations
- Nuffield Advanced Biology: Teachers Guide I