Nuffield Advanced Biology: Teachers Guide II
Published by the Nuffield Foundation, each chapter of the Nuffield Advanced Biology Laboratory Guide provided a coherent treatment of a series of biological topics based on practical investigations. Although the chapters were arranged in a logical order this was not intended to be prescriptive; other arrangements were possible. Only the teachers' guides made a distinction between preliminary and main work. Extension work followed immediately after those chapters to which it was most closely related.
Each investigation was treated in the Teachers' Guide under five headings:
• Associated materials - references to complementary work in the study guide and to visual aids.
• Principles - an outline of the aims of the investigation.
• Teaching procedure - suggested approaches, links with other work in the Laboratory guide, and possible difficulties.
• Practical problems - this section was concerned with practical teaching problems.
• Questions and answers - this section repeated the questions in the appropriate part of the laboratory guide and gave outlines of the kind of answers to be expected.
• Using the Laboratory Guides
• Unit 3 The developing organism
Chapter 1: Sexual reproduction
Chapter 2: Early development
Extension work I: Seeds, spores, and life cycles
Chapter 3: Cell development and differentiation
Chapter 4: The nature of genetic material
Chapter 5: Gene action
Extension work II: Development and evolution
Chapter 6: Development and the internal environment
Chapter 7: Development and the external environment
Extension work III: The complexities of environmental influence on development
• Unit 4 Control and co-ordination in organisms
Chapter 1: The organism and water
Chapter 2: The cell and water
Chapter 3: Control by the organism
Extension work I: Water and salt uptake by plants
Chapter 4: Stimuli and their influences
Chapter 5: Nerves and movement
Chapter 6: Structure and function in the nervous system
Extension work II: Neurophysiology
Chapter 7: Social behaviour
Extension work III: Further study of behaviour
• The internal assessment of class practical work
HEALTH and SAFETY
Any use of a resource that includes a practical activity must include a risk assessment. Please note that collections may contain ARCHIVE resources, which were developed at a much earlier date. Since that time there have been significant changes in the rules and guidance affecting laboratory practical work. Further information is provided in our Health and Safety guidance.
More like this
Resource by: Nuffield Foundation
The resource is part of Nuffield Foundation,Penguin Books
- Nuffield Advanced Science: Biology
- Nuffield Advanced Biology: Practical Activities and Investigations
- Nuffield Advanced Biology: Teachers Guide II