Fighting Disease Unit Guide
This Salters’ Chemistry Course unit from the University of York Science Education Group covered:
• The use and importance of germicides.
• The chemist's role in public health.
• Some of the chemical reactions inside our bodies.
• The function and properties of enzymes.
• The relationship between structure and activity for effective drugs.
• The use and misuse of drugs.
• Stages in drug discovery and development.
FD1: How do we fight germs?
FD2: Which germicidal bleach gives the best value for money?
FD3: Chemical reactions in the body.
FD4: What are enzymes?
FD5: Investigating an enzyme
FD6: Searching for molecules to use as drugs.
FD7: What makes a good medicine?
HEALTH and SAFETY
Any use of a resource that includes a practical activity must include a risk assessment. Please note that collections may contain ARCHIVE resources, which were developed at a much earlier date. Since that time there have been significant changes in the rules and guidance affecting laboratory practical work. Further information is provided in our Health and Safety guidance.