Outstanding Curriculum Innovation in Science: City and Islington College
This report from Ofsted looks at City and Islington College which is one of the biggest national providers of science in further education. The college has developed a broad range of cutting-edge science provision and established itself as a regional centre of excellence for science.
• The college has developed an extensive range of provision in the sciences and related vocational areas. They have doubled the recruitment to science courses in the past three years.
• Science provision is based at the Centre for Applied Sciences and the Sixth Form College. The course offer is extensive ranging from A-levels in biology, chemistry and physics to national diplomas and BTECs in medical, sports science, animal care and general sciences among others.
• Access to Higher Education courses are widely recognised by universities and offer strong progression into niche areas such as optometry, pharmacy, dentistry, radiography and physiotherapy.
• The college was judged to be outstanding in its recent inspection report with strong partnerships being highlighted as one of the college’s key strengths.
• Applications to study science at the college have doubled in the last three years. This has taken place in a community where 80% of students are from areas of social and economic deprivation and the large majority are of minority ethnic heritage.
• The curriculum is responsive to student, employer and higher education needs, serving three purposes: ensuring up-to-date training; developing and deepening an understanding of science; and providing employers and universities with highly motivated and capable individuals.
HEALTH and SAFETY
Any use of a resource that includes a practical activity must include a risk assessment. Please note that collections may contain ARCHIVE resources, which were developed at a much earlier date. Since that time there have been significant changes in the rules and guidance affecting laboratory practical work. Further information is provided in our Health and Safety guidance.