Polymers: Physical Testing
From CIEC Promoting Science, these activities are aimed at post-16 students following courses in technology, engineering, physics or materials science. The activities described allow students to gain experience and practice experimental technique in the testing of materials' physical properties. The tests include:
• Compression testing
• Hardness testing
• Tear testing (tensile tear, shear tear and tear initiation)
• Puncture testing
• Adhesion testing (cleavage, peel, shear, napkin ring and tape tests)
• Testing for blocking
• Creep testing
• Impact resistance testing (falling weight and flexed beam tests)
• Flexure testing (three point loading and cantilever flexural tests)
• Testing for friction
• Wear and abrasion testing
The materials contain full teacher guidance, student notes and activity sheets.
HEALTH and SAFETY
Any use of a resource that includes a practical activity must include a risk assessment. Please note that collections may contain ARCHIVE resources, which were developed at a much earlier date. Since that time there have been significant changes in the rules and guidance affecting laboratory practical work. Further information is provided in our Health and Safety guidance.