Produced by CIEC Promoting Science, these activities help students to examine the recycling of materials, concentrating on polymers and the potential for the recycling of waste plastics. In doing so, students look at polymers, the properties of plastics, purifying components of a mixture, waste disposal and sustainable development.
During the activities, students:
• Establish that 'plastic' is a set of very different materials
• Test a method for separating different polymers based on density
• Identify commonly-used polymers
• Identify issues in recycling polymers
• Discuss and evaluate different options for dealing with the future supply of plastics and the problems of waste plastics.
HEALTH and SAFETY
Any use of a resource that includes a practical activity must include a risk assessment. Please note that collections may contain ARCHIVE resources, which were developed at a much earlier date. Since that time there have been significant changes in the rules and guidance affecting laboratory practical work. Further information is provided in our Health and Safety guidance.