Jessica Chambers is a food technologist at Sainsbury's. This Department for Education clip could be useful when teaching microbiology, food technology, or as a context for applied science.
Jessica's job allows her to gain experience of work in many different areas that include:
• development of new products and ensuring they remain at the highest quality until their use;
• managing the quality and safety of cheese, yoghurt, chilled deserts, milk, eggs and juices;
• testing and developing the flavour, aroma, texture and appearance of food products;
• taste testing and comparisons with competitors' products;
• monitoring the environmental impact of our packaging and how we can go about reducing it.
Jessica says, "I always knew I wanted to do something with science in my career, and there's lots of flexibility in studying science. Amongst other things, I love discovering how things work and why the world is the way it is.
HEALTH and SAFETY
Any use of a resource that includes a practical activity must include a risk assessment. Please note that collections may contain ARCHIVE resources, which were developed at a much earlier date. Since that time there have been significant changes in the rules and guidance affecting laboratory practical work. Further information is provided in our Health and Safety guidance.